With Cushing’s Disease, Daily Life Was a Struggle

Paris Dancy avatar

by Paris Dancy |

Share this article:

Share article via email
finding purpose | Cushing's Disease News | banner image for Paris Dancy's

What is a typical day like for someone dealing with Cushing’s disease? Some people who are unfamiliar with this disease have asked me this question. My usual answer is, “It’s fine.” But to be honest, it is not fine — it can be extremely difficult. I can’t speak for everyone, but I want to share my experience of what it was like.

In the mornings, it was difficult to get out of bed. That was mainly because I was tired due to the interrupted sleep I experienced at night. As a result of the excess weight I gained, I developed sleep apnea, which I managed with a continuous positive airway pressure machine. Once I was able to get up, I would start my morning routine.

First, I would take my dogs Raider and Creed out for a walk. Then, I’d get myself ready for work, which was a task by itself because of the aches, pains, and lack of motivation. On the way to work, I’d grab an energy drink, which I now know was a no-no. Drinking that many energy drinks certainly didn’t help.

Recommended Reading
heart issues | Cushing's Disease News | illustration of woman highlighting heart

Lowering Cortisol Levels Can Ease Heart Issues in Certain Patients

By midday, I would start to crash badly. It felt like I hadn’t slept at all the night before. In addition to the fatigue, I had to keep my emotions in check. This was difficult, because my job at the time required me to face difficult situations and deal with emotionally unstable people.

Additionally, I didn’t work regular hours. My day usually started around 9 a.m. and could go on late into the night. Sometimes I’d be on call all night long.

This kind of schedule was difficult even for those who didn’t have to deal with health issues. Without knowing the cause, I was dealing with a pituitary tumor at the time, and on some days, the simplest tasks were daunting.

At night, I didn’t want to do anything at all. I would eat, watch a little television, and then go to sleep. I repeated the same cycle each day, but some days were more difficult than others. My wife recalls how I would constantly wake up throughout the night, either due to anxiety or because she had to make sure I was still breathing.

Today, after being treated and having surgery, my morning routine has changed. After waking up, I drink a mix of energy supplements, vitamins, and shilajit, a superfood. I take my dogs for a walk and then start meeting with clients. I don’t have midday crashes anymore, and my current work schedule has flexible hours.

Every day isn’t always a great day, but my bad days now are better than my good days six years ago, before I was treated.

What are your days like? Please share in the comments below. 

Note: Cushing’s Disease News is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The opinions expressed in this column are not those of Cushing’s Disease News or its parent company, BioNews, and are intended to spark discussion about issues pertaining to Cushing’s.


Leave a comment

Fill in the required fields to post. Your email address will not be published.